State Office Building
St. Paul, MN
Originally built in 1931 on the grounds of the Minnesota State Capitol, the Minnesota State Office Building was renovated, upgraded and expanded. The entire project had to follow federal guidelines for historic places established by the secretary of the interior and also be completed in only nine months–the time between sessions of the Minnesota Legislature.
The building’s usable space expanded from 200,000 to 300,000 square feet, by adding a seventh floor and enclosing two open courtyards. Enclosing the courtyards increased the energy efﬁciency of the entire building by 30%. Fre and accessibility code revisions occurred as well as completely new mechanical, HVAC and electrical systems. As a result of the expansion, 10 new hearing rooms and a legislative library were added. There are 1,500 people who use this building, and it is entirely accessible.
- 1984 Precast Concrete Institute Award for Design Excellence